University of Novi Sad was founded on 28 June 1960. Today it comprises
14 faculties located in the four major towns of the Autonomous Province
of Vojvodina: Novi Sad, Subotica, Zrenjanin, and Sombor.
The University of Novi Sad is now the second largest among six state
universities in Serbia. The main University Campus, covering an area of
259,807m², provides the University of Novi Sad with a unique and
beautiful setting in the region and the city of Novi Sad. Having
invested considerable efforts in intensifying international cooperation
and participating in the process of university reforms in Europe, the
University of Novi Sad has come to be recognized as a reform-oriented
university in the region and on the map of universities in Europe.
|Facts and Figures (2014/15 school year)
| Number of students at I level of studies
|Number of students at II and III level of studies
|Number of employees
|Number of teaching staff
|Number of non-teaching staff
|Number of foreign teaching staff
|Number of study programmes
Educational activities in Vojvodina and Novi Sad have
a tradition of more than a few hundred years: 11th century -
Catholic Latin school in Bač, 12th century - Roman Catholic Latin
school in Titel.
From the middle of the 16th century until the end of
the 17th (the period of Turkish occupation) centres of learning were
founded, as follows: 1573 – Monastery school in Hopovo, 1607 –
school in Kovilj, 1621 – Monastery school in Bođani, 1687 – Roman
Catholic monastery schools in Subotica and Sombor, 1606 – Serbian
public school in Vršac, 1618 – Serbian public school in Veliki
1703 – Schools in Petrovaradin and Sremska Kamenica, The Rumanians
founded their first schools close to Orthodox churches, in 1736 in
Veliko Središte, First Ruthenian schools were founded in 1753 in Ruski
Krstur and in 1765 in Kucura, Oldest Slovakian schools were established
in 1770 in Bački Petrovac, in 1780 in Gložan and in 1785 in Kisač, 1726
– Slavic Latin school in Sremski Karlovci, at the level of lower
secondary school, 1794 – Serbian Orthodox Seminary in Sremski Karlovci,
training priests and teachers, 1791 – First Serbian grammar school –
»Gymnasium« in Sremski Karlovci 1778 – Teacher Training school in
Sombor, developed from the courses given by Avram Mrazović, 1810 –
Serbian Orthodox Grammar School in Novi Sad, 1881 – Women's teacher
training school in Subotica, 1881 – Lower school for tradesmen
merchants in Novi Sad, 1885 – School of commerce in Sombor, 1895 –
School of commerce in Veliki Bečkerek, 1906 – School of commerce in
Subotica, 1920 – Faculty of Law in Subotica, 1947 – Teachers’ college
Novi Sad, 1954 – First faculties in Novi Sad were opened.
|Founding of the University
University of Novi Sad was founded on June 28, 1960. and it represents
an autonomous institution for education, science and arts. The
University is comprised of 14 faculties located in the four major
of the autonomous Province of Vojvodina: Novi Sad, Subotica, Zrenjanin, Sombor.
||The University is comprised of the
following faculties in order of their founding:
|In December 2007, University reached a decision to include two institutes into its organization:
- Institute of Lowland Forestry and Environment
- Institute of Food Technology
|Location of the University
The University is situated on the
University campus (totals 259,807 square meters) on the left bank of
Danube river near Novi Sad's city centre. In addition to the
administrative building, the university campus comprises the faculties,
the Student centre with two Student Dormitories and the Central Student
Cafeteria, an Apartment Hotel for temporary accommodation of young
teaching fellows and research assistants, the Student health centre and
the Centre for Physical Education.
There are also many other scientific,
professional, cultural, information, sports and similar student
organizations. The student square on the University campus adds to the
Out of 14 faculties of the University
of Novi Sad, 9 are seated in Novi Sad. Seven of them operate in modern
buildings built on the University Campus: the Faculty of Philosophy, the Faculty of Agriculture, the Faculty of Technology, the
Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Technical Sciences, the Faculty of Sciences and the Faculty of Sport and Physical Education. The
Faculty of Medicine is located on the grounds of the Clinical Center,
while the Academy of Arts is housed partially in the immediate city
center and partially in the Petrovaradin Fortress.
Four faculties are situated elsewhere: The Faculties of Economics, Faculty of
Civil Engineering and Teachers' Training Faculty in Hungarian are in Subotica, the "Mihajlo Pupin" Technical Faculty is in Zrenjanin, and the Faculty of Education is in Sombor.
and Management of the University
from faculties, which are legal entities, the University also comprises
higher education units without the capacity of being a legal entity –
Teachers’ Training Faculty in Hungarian in Subotica as well as the
Association of University Centres for Interdisciplinary and
Multidisciplinary Studies and Developmental Research – ACIMSI.
Organizational units within the University without the status of a legal entity are the following:
1) University Rectorate;
2) Central Library;
3) Centre for Information Technologies – CIT – UNS;
4) Quality Centre;
5) Centre for Student Activities;
6) University Secretariat.
The University administrative bodies are: the Rector and the University Council.
University body is the
Senate with its auxiliary expert organs: The Expert
Councils for interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary studies and
commissions and boards for specific questions concerning educational
The Rector convenes the Collegium of the University, a
consulting body for surveying questions and making policy decisions
within the range of the Rector's responsibility, and for developing
mutual cooperation and coordination among the faculties. The Collegium
consists of the Rector, Vice-Rectors, Secretary General and the Deans
all of the faculties comprising the University.
Expert positions at the University are filled by officers
employed in the Expert Offices.
The University Council appoints permanent boards for special issues
under its authority, as well as auxiliary expert and advisory bodies.
The University Council appoints permanent boards such as:
1) Strategic Development Board
2) University Campus Maintenance and Development Board
3) Statutory Board
4) Financial Board
5) Board of Entrepreneurial Activities Control and Improvement
6) Capital Investment Board
Senate is the highest expert body of the University.
In the decision-making process regarding the issues of quality
assurance, study programmes revision, study efficiency analysis and
ECTS credits allocation, there are 5 student representatives appointed
by the University Student Parliament who participate in the work of the
Auxiliary bodies of the Senate are the following:
1) Board for Harmonization of Standards in the field of Education and Development of ECTS Credit System
2) Board for Integrated Scientific Work and International Cooperation
3) Board for Quality Assurance and Internal Evaluation
4) Board for Establishing Equality in Teaching Process
5) Board for Ethical Issues
6) expert councils.
The Senate comprises 5 expert councils, taking into account that all
scientific fields are involved within the following expert councils:
1) Expert Council for Natural Sciences and Mathematics
2) Expert Council for Social Sciences and Humanities
3) Expert Council for Medical Sciences
4) Expert Council for Technical and Technological Sciences
5) Expert Council for Arts
University Student Parliament is a body through which students exercise
their rights and protect their interests at the University.
|Professors, Teaching Associates and
Teaching at the University and at the faculties is
entrusted to professors and teaching associates who hold academic
titles prescribed by law. Scientific and artistic activities are taught
by researchers and art associatesholding corresponding titles
by law. The University monitors the advancement of its
staff and takes measures for their further advancement. It participates
in the procedure for awarding doctorate degrees at the faculties and
take measures for improving the financial status of professors,
teaching associates and researchers. The University confers doctorates
in interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary fields, and honorary
doctorates. The Rector of the University officially confers the
doctorate degree on candidates who have acquired their doctorates at
the University and its faculties.
The University devotes special attention to young lectures
and researchers. To create the best possible conditions for their work
and development, the University provides temporary housing for about
young lecturers and scientists, together with their families, in two
halls of residence built specifically for them.